April 17, 2008

A Boutique Hotel

Under the Sun-- What a wonderful name for a boutique hotel.

If you do not know what a boutique hotel is, I will tell you. Wikipedia defines it as an intimate, luxurious, and usually quirky hotel that differentiates itself by providing personalize accommodation and services/facilities. This seems right up my alley.

As I have said earlier, I love to travel and I am simply fascinated by different cultures. By doing a boutique hotel, I would be able to attract different types of travelers and design each room to different cultural specifications. I could have a feng shui living space, a modern accommodation, an old-fashioned looking room... anything that I would want, tied together of course by a similar color scheme. I could have it all. It would be so much fun. It also would make my hotel more interesting. There would be a reason to come to my hotel... many cultures will feel at home while they are visiting a new country.

I hope to attract many international customers. This is very likely since the low exchange rate of the dollar is attracting visitors from many places throughout the world. With a bit of research I can figure out what they want, what they expect from a hotel, and market it to them (most likely through the Internet). Every step forward I have gives me 10 more questions! How do I attract international customers. What type of words do they search in order to find a hotel. Where would be a good spot they'd like to visit. (California seemed very popular as well as New York, however there was an odd portion of the Irish people I've spoken to that said they visited somewhere atypical such as Tennessee.) Do they want a similar experience as they get at home or do they travel to get something different? How accurate can I be? Is there any rule that I cannot copy other hotel designs? Is it possible for there to be a consistent, natural flow if there are so many themes? I want my hotel to be like a quilt, flowing but each square very different, not like a basket of mismatched socks, aka chaotic and unpleasant to go through. How is that achieved in these boutique hotels?

Back to the research!

No comments: