April 29, 2008

It Now Seems Doable

I'm making progress. What seemed so unsure, so insanely large, is now seeming doable.

I'm talking about my project. I have to make a business plan. The main problem was that there is so much I didn't know about what I wanted to do in the business. I'd like to own a hotel, but I've never worked in one before. Sure, I have stayed in a few, just like most of us, but I have never worked there. I don't know what type of supplies the "hotel suppliers" supply. How often do you have to buy new sheets? I can't imagine keeping the same ones for too long of a time. That gets kind of gross no matter how well you wash it.

I don't know the first thing about hiring a person. I don't know what their salaries should be. Its hard to guess without working there. Thank goodness that I have the option of supplementing my project with a plan in order to work my way to where I want to be- my end goal of owning a hotel of my own.

I'm starting off much smaller and much different than what I thought. I found this cute little bed and breakfast online at a reasonable price where I am interested in opening a hotel. Its out on the eastern end of Long Island, right by all the vineyards, where you feel like you're staying somewhere a few dozen years behind the times. It's quaint. It's one of the place where I grew up. Its a place I know, a place I like to visit, and so a great place to try my luck in the hotel world. However my lack of experience is still at my disadvantage, and so before I sink my teeth into this adventure, I plan on spending a few years working in a hotel, and maybe a little while in consulting in small business. The consulting position is what I am recently looking into.

There is a small firm in which I would love to work with this summer. They specialize in turning small businesses into more successful businesses that will run without the sole proprietor nursing every step. I feel I can learn a great deal from the position. I am hoping that I will get it.

After that, perhaps next year or the summer after I plan to get a position in a hotel. Since I have no previous experience I will try my best to work my way up from the bottom. Doing so will give me the knowledge I need to manage those people, knowing what it is like to be them.

After taking this time, I hope to branch out into my own. I hope to make contacts through my experiences that would be able to help me along the way. This is an outline of my plan, although only the bare bones. It is indeed doable, all I need to have is patience.

No comments: