April 29, 2008

Optimistic Side of the Entry of Goliath

Ok, two in one day... within a couple of minutes actually... but I just needed to comment.

What do you do when the place you wanted to start a business is being taken over by a hospitality Goliath? I just found an article in Suffolk Life that there will be this gigantic project that will take place in Riverhead, only a half hour away from where I want to open my hotel. This project is going to be huge. According to the article it includes eight separately themed resorts, a 350-foot indoor ski mountain, hotels, a fitness center, a man-made lake and 2,500 timeshare units.

How is a little dinky hotel supposed to compete with that?

I am hoping that this may turn out to be a good thing for my business. I am not quite ready to open up a business, but hopefully this large project will bring up tourism in the area. There seems to be skepticism on whether the project will ever happen, but if it does, Presiding Officer of Holbrook, Bill Lindsay, believes that it will result in a huge economic boom. There will be more of a reason for businesses to spread out east, and customers may want to rediscover the quaintness of the towns by the wineries while enjoying the benefits of the new amenities nearby.

I was actually worried about attracting more, new and younger people to the area and this could be just the thing to do it. Hopefully this competition will actually be a blessing.

No comments: